Ted Reader crafted this recipe in his book titled King of the Q’s Blue Plate BBQ. In his recipe he made a orange and rum glaze however we wanted to use our Slow Smoke Gold as the base for the sauce. Grilling carrots is a great way to get a nice roasted flavour on these wonderful vegetables.
Grilled Carrot and Onion Salad
- 1-2 lbs Fresh garden or market carrots
- 1 Sweet onion
- 1-2 TB Olive oil
- 1-2 ts House of Q Peppered Bovine or Competition Beef Rub
- 1 TB Butter
- 2-3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 4 TB House of Q Slow Smoke Gold BBQ Sauce
- 2-3 TB Honey
- 2-3 TB Parsley or your favorite fresh herb optional
- Boil a pot of water and blanch the carrots for 5 minutes. Cool quickly and set in a bowl. Peel and quarter the sweet onion and place in the same bowl as the carrots. Drizzle with olive oil and season with Peppered Bovine. Toss to coat evenly.
- Prepare your grill for medium heat direct grilling. Cook the carrots and onions until they are charred and softened. Remove from the grill and set aside to cool.
- In a skillet, melt the butter and add the garlic. Saute for a few minutes then add the Slow Smoke Gold and honey. Stir then remove from the heat. If needed, check for seasoning and add salt and pepper.
- Cut the vegetables into long diagonal slices or whichever shape you like and return to the bowl. Add the sauce and stir to coat. Add the herbs or parsley and serve warm.